Te Mana Kōrero Online has been developed to help school leaders and teachers address and meet the goals of Ka Hikitia: Managing for Success: The Māori Education Strategy 2008–2012 (Ministry of Education, 2008; 2009). It is based on information in the Te Mana Kōrero resources and other successful initiatives, and it provides tools for using an inquiry approach to investigate six key themes that affect Māori student achievement in schools.
The current Māori education strategy 2013-2017
Ka Hikitia – Accelerating Success 2013–2017 is our strategy to rapidly change how the education system performs so that all Māori students gain the skills, qualifications and knowledge they need to enjoy and achieve education success as Māori.
- Undertaking professional development on issues related to Māori students’ engagement and achievement
- Having high expectations for Māori students’ achievement
- Engaging Māori students meaningfully in all aspects of learning
- Developing responsive and respectful relationships with Māori students
- Building, maintaining, and using responsive and respectful partnerships
- Building responsive school leadership in order to realise Māori students’ potential